In this tutorial we will show you how to root your Samsung Galaxy Ace S5830 and install ClockworkMod recovery. ClockworkMod recovery is a tool that allows you to flash the phone with different ROMs from the phone without using a PC.
First of all this tutorial is for devices with 2.3 version of android. So if you are having 2.2 version of Android, then you have to upgrade to 2.3 using Samsung Kies. It can be downloaded from Samsung official site.
- Download this file and copy it to your sdcard
- Turn off your phone and press POWER + HOME BUTTON to boot to recovery mode. Alternative method is, if you have installed ADB (you can check our previous tutorial) then you can do this with following command on your terminal – “adb reboot recovery”
- Select update from sdcard, select the file upd_1.zip. ( You can move the selection with you VOLUME UP, DOWN buttons and select using HOME button. Also press POWER button for back. )
- Reboot after update completion.
- Now you can see an app called superuser in application list. Now your device is rooted.
Installing ClockWorkMod Recovery
ClockWorkMod is a custom recovery for Android phones and tablets that allows you to perform several advanced recovery, restoration, installation and maintenance operations on your Android device that aren’t possible with the stock recovery. It is one of the most widely used custom Android recoveries that is available for most mainstream Android devices.
There are many methods you can install ClockWorkMod recovery. One of the dead simple method is to install ROM Manager from Android Market and flash ClockWorkMod from it.
However, in case if this method is not working there is an alternative manual method. Similar to above method for rooting, you can download this flashable zip file and copy to your SD card. Reboot to recovery mode and in the Select update from sdcard option, select this file to flash ClockWorkMod recovery to your device.
Installing CyanogenMod (unofficial port)
CyanogenMod is a community based customized aftermarket firmware (ROM) distribution. It offers features not found in the official Android based firmwares of vendors of these cell phones. One of the advantage of using CyanogenMod in your device is, it will always give you latest firmware even if your device vendor does not released an official version of it.
Even if CyanogenMod community officially doesn’t support Galaxy Ace S5830, some developers ported it for our device. Download “CyanogenMod-7.1.0-RC1-Cooper-KANG” from here. Before flashing don’t forgot to backup current ROM from ClockWorkMod. After backup, do wipe data/factory reset, wipe cache partition from. To install new ROM, select “install zip from sdcard” and select downloaded zip file. Done!! Reboot and enjoy the power of custom ROM.